Monday, October 4, 2010

Endurance & Perseverance

Today was Week 3 Day 1 of the "Couch to 5K" program. I really surprised myself that I was easily able to complete the jogging portion today! Mind you, I was a sweaty mess by the end, but it was completed!

(Side discussion - Confession: I sweat. Like, A LOT. I don't love to sweat, but apparently it's just who I am. I'd love to say I'm one of those people who has that "healthy glow" after working out, but that's just not me. Is anyone else a sweaty mess after working out? Please say so!)

One of the goals of this program is to increase the body's endurance. Because of my track record of connecting working out to spiritual matters, you know I had to look for a connection!!!

Last week I decided it was time to hit the streets and do my run/walk outside. I had been loving the treadmill, and was ready for some fresh air. As I started to run, I realized it was much more difficult than running on the treadmill. I realized that it was harder because I didn't have the power and pull of the treadmill under my feet - just my own strength! I was having to power through each interval myself - I had to dig deep and persevere!

How often have I gotten myself into a patter of comfort, being pulled along by life? Life is pretty good on the treadmill; consistent pacing, no curves, no bumps, no weather to compete with. But is that developing my endurance and perseverance? NOPE! Sometimes to you have to hit the ground on your own power and strength.

Hebrews 12:1 (NIV)
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance [some versions say "endurance"] the race marked out for us."

Hebrews 12:1 (The Message)
"Do you see what this means - all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running - and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished the race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed - the exhilarating finish in and with God - he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!"

I just love The Message version, don't you? So powerful! While it's harder - I'm looking forward to my next run outside - because God's power - through me - is what develops endurance and perseverance!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

LOVE it! And totally tracking with ya, sista.

Well said. And love that Message.

;)