Sunday, July 13, 2008

Signs & Wonders...or Shock & Awe?

I love the term "shock and awe". One the one hand, it stirs up a strong sense of patriotism, on the other, I think it's hilarious. I looked up "shock and awe" on Wikipedia [the authority] and here's the definition:

Shock and awe, technically known as rapid dominance, is a military doctrine based on the use of overwhelming power, dominant battlefield awareness, dominant maneuvers, and spectacular displays of force to paralyze an adversary's perception of the battlefield and destroy its will to fight.

Today, I felt like God launched a "shock and awe" campaign on me. I stopped into CVS to pick up some gum and a bottle of water for church, which I never do, when the attack happened. I was walking out when I saw a sign CVS had posted for an upcoming event. What's weird is that it said the name of the event and then for the date it said, "August TBD". Ok, now I see "TBD" listed places a lot. Usually I smile and move on. But seeing "August TBD" today was different. It stopped me in my tracks. I looked at the sign for a few seconds, seeing only "August TBD". Needless to say, God "rapidly dominated" me with a reminder of His promise, and His "overwhelming power". He is so good!!

I don't know what it means, if it means that something is coming up, but I do believe that He uses "shock and awe" tactics to get our attention sometimes. Believe me, I needed it!

No comments: