As I was driving home yesterday, I drove by a middle school near my house. I noticed that there were kids everywhere. At first I thought it might have been an end of the year field day, but then I saw that they had just received their yearbooks.
When you were in school, didn't you absolutely flip out on yearbook day?
It was so neat to see some kids sitting together, flipping through each of the pages, while others were running from friend to friend, eager to have them sign their yearbook, leaving their final words and memories of the school year.
I was inspired. God spoke the coolest thing to me! More on that in a minute.
After an extensive search in the crawl-space [Thanks Chazzle!], I was able to locate my yearbooks from Middle School, circa 1992 and 1993.
Let's just get a few details out of the way about how awesome life was in 1992 and 1993.
As voted on by the students of Perry Middle School in 1992:
Favorite Musical Group: Color Me Badd
Favorite Male Star: Luke Perry
Favorite Female Star: Cindy Crawford [?]
Favorite TV Show: Beverly Hills, 90210
Favorite Movie: My Girl
Favorite Song: "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye" by Boyz II Men
As voted on by the students of Perry Middle School in 1993:
Favorite Musical Group: Boyz II Men
Favorite Male Star: Tom Cruise
Favorite Female Star: Cindy Crawford [again, ?]
Favorite TV Show: Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Favorite Movie: Aladdin
Favorite Song: "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston [apparently we were big on anthems of lost love in 1992 and 1993]
And, because I know you won't let me off the hook without them, here are a few pics of yours truly from 1992-1993.
[Disclaimer: I scanned these in black and white. Yes, we did have the capabilities for color photography in 1992. ]
Here's my 7th grade yearbook photo:

And, just to keep it cool, here's my band photo from 7th grade. If you can't seem to locate me, just look for the long-haired girl with too much product.

Here's 8th grade. Apparently I had been through some sort of humidity tunnel before this photo was taken. And, if I recall correctly, my shirt had shoulder pads. I have also included the love of my life, Ben, whom I have clearly indicated. Actually, we were really good friends - but we were obviously MFEO [Made For Each Other].

And, for a small bit of redemption, here's my one claim to coolness throughout my educational career. The cheerleading picture. Yep, that's me in the middle. But, we won't talk about my hair, will we Mom? ;o)

Well, that was certainly more fun than should be had on a blog, wasn't it? I hope your eyes aren't burning, but mine sure are!
Anyway, I after seeing those middle school kids having such a ball with their yearbooks, I thought to myself:
"What would God write in my yearbook?"
Would He write, "Thanks for a great year, see you in the fall!"
Would He write, "Don't ever change!"
No way! As soon as that question popped in my mind, I got a download from the Lord as to what He would write in each of our yearbooks. Take a look:
"See, I have engraved you in the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."
Isaiah 49:16
"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
Romans 12:2
"'For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
I felt so strongly that God was saying, "I'm in this for the long haul. I'm not going to sign your yearbook and move on. We are in this together."
I don't know about you, but sometimes I need that reminder!!
We are so blessed to serve a God who won't leave us or forsake us, who wants us to renew our minds with the images and deeds of heaven! Praise Him for his faithfulness!!


3 comments:
AMEN sister! Thanks for taking the time to share your photos [love em'] and inspirational thought.
What a cool God download!!!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane....and especially for the photos!
xo
Hi there, stumbled across your blog and had to tell you that I loved this post! :)
I sometimes need a God download reminding me of His faithfulness.
Post a Comment