When I was in High School - I was a marching band nerd for 4 years. My freshman year I played the flute, and sophomore through senior year I was a Field Commander.
OK - QUIT HARASSING ME! HERE'S A PHOTO.
We had a practice field next to the school where we learned our pre-game and halftime shows. As you might imagine, ruts eventually developed in the grass as musicians marched day after day, week after week.
Ruts that sometimes looked like this:

These ruts were helpful for freshman and new members who might not remember their placement in a formation. The rut was a path they could follow to make life easier.
However, as the season progressed and we learned different shows, we had to tell the freshman to stop relying on the ruts. We were going in a different direction, learning new placements, and the rut could no longer be relied on. Countless times I heard upperclassmen and squad-leaders yelling encouraging, "DON'T FOLLOW THE RUTS!"
Ever since completing the 5K in December, I've been in a rut.
This picture sums it up perfectly:

After taking a couple of days off after the 5K, the holidays became - well - the holidays, and running was replaced with celebrations, dinners, and relaxation.
Holiday rut.
The rut was fine for the month of December, but - newsflash! - today is not December.
Now, I can't follow the rut any longer. I fell back into some of my old habits and familiar ruts in the name of "holiday spirit". It's time to get back on track!
DON'T FOLLOW THE RUTS!!!
There are new places to go run!
New habits to form. Habits that will take me from rut to race!
I have only run twice this week, and had meager runs each time. It's time to mix things up. Although the temperatures are plummeting into the teens and twenties each day, my Dad and I are running outside tomorrow. I need my accountability and running buddy back!
If anyone is equipped to remove his daughter from her rut, it's this guy:
Happy Weekend!!!!!


1 comment:
Thank you for posting this photo, you are awesome! P.S., I was a band geek as well. 2nd chair Clarinet. Yea baby!
Post a Comment