Monday, September 1, 2008

Running the Race...

Today is September 1st. It's not August anymore.

Am I disappointed? Of course.

Am I discouraged? Honestly, I was.

Thrown off course? Never.

Here's what I do know.

God is still the same God that He was on August 31st. He is good...always.

I am reminded of this scripture in Hebrews:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

I really like this version in The Message:

Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!

Pretty sweet, right?

I love the part where it says we are to run the race marked out for us. Not the race marked out for a friend or family member. My race.

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to see Nathan Morris speak. Talk about running a race. I can't do justice to his testimony, but it's so extreme, he has no choice but to be totally extreme for Jesus! He referenced the scripture in 2 Kings 2:1-14 when Elijah was taken to heaven, leaving Elisha behind. Nathan talked about the cloak that Elijah left behind and how we, as God's children, each have our own cloak, or mantle to carry. He challenged the crowd to look what mantles we have either put down, or never picked up. Mantles for ministry, mantles of favor, mantles of evangelism. Whatever it is, we need to pick up the mantle God has for us. We need to run the race!

I don't know why this is my mantle, but I know that it's the mantle that was chosen for me by a Guy who loves me more than I will ever understand. I consider it a challenge and an honor to run this race and not look back!

3 comments:

Giving Love Encounters said...

Thanks Bex. I can always count on you for some words of wisdom!

Amie said...

How do you know you didn't meet TBD in August? I'm just sayin.

:)
Amie

Jen said...

You Go Girl! Good things are coming your way...I am believing, praying and running this race by your side...all the way to the finish line!