I think I may have mentioned this before, but I have this daily tear off calendar that my Mom bought me for Christmas last year. I will free my Mom from any responsibility, as I asked for this calendar. It's a daily tidbit of "encouragement" from Joyce Meyer. Now, I say "encouragement" loosely, mostly because I typically have one of the following reactions to each day's comment:
- Slap-You-In-The-Face-Good
- "Hmmm....lame"
- "I have no idea what's she's talking about"
- "Dang...that was kind of harsh"
- Slap-Joyce-In-The-Face-Annoying
"The Bible says that if we have hope, then we will wait on God with an attitude of patience and composure. In other words, while we're waiting on God, we're not going to be frustrated and upset. We're not going to be frantic and fearful...We're just going to say, 'I see it in my heart even though I don't see it in the natural yet. God will bring it at the right time.' We wait for it with patience and composure if we have hope."
Seriously Joyce? Clearly Joyce hasn't had to wait very long for anything. Thank goodness no one has asked me to do a daily calendar because it would be a Jekyll and Hyde scenario, and what I was REALLY thinking yesterday when I ready this. Here's what my calendar would look like:
"The Bible says that if we have hope, then we will wait on God with an attitude of patience and composure. [But let's get serious, sometimes we just want to lay in the fetal position and cry 'till it hurts and our eyes are puffy and red.] In other words, while we're waiting on God, we're not going to be frustrated and upset. [Ok, maybe we will get frustrated and upset at times, but that's OK too. God knows we're doing our best.] We're not going to be frantic and fearful [lie]...We're just going to say [on a good day], 'I see it in my heart even though I don't see it in the natural yet. God will bring it at the right time.' We wait for it with patience and composure if we have hope [most of the time]."
Now, I can respect the fact that there is something about yesterday's calendar that I found so annoying...I must have needed it. Perhaps I'm just in a cynical part of my waiting period. But waiting isn't always pretty and hopeful. It's dark, scary, and ugly. BUT, the great thing is...and what I wish Joyce would have said, is that I don't always have to put on a "brave face" for God. I don't feel like I have to keep my chin up every day. I'm OK with having days when I have to rest on His grace and mercy because I can't muster one positive idea about waiting. His grace covers all my emotions...even the ugly "I'm tired of waiting ones".
Put THAT on a calendar. :o)


5 comments:
Thanks for your awesome perspective Bex! Isn't God's grace good?
Can I add one more comment here? As I have experienced God's waiting room for way too long, I would like to ask Joyce a question. How long ACTUALLY have you been waiting for something? That little diddy you wrote makes it appear like you have waited 1 day, 2 days...5 days tops. I like Becky's calendar entry better. Much more realistic people!
I know, right?!? She was probably talking about waiting for a table at Applebee's or her order from The Gap to arrive. Whoops! Just cracked myself up with that one!
that made me cry.
I don't know you, but I completely agree with you. Yes we have hope. But hope doesn't take away human emotions. God created us with those. We don't always remain composed and he doesn't expect us to. Great perspective.
hilahsramblings.blogspot.com
Post a Comment